Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Something about Glass ceiling...

And I always used to think that glass ceiling in corporate world is disappearing.But today I am contradicting my own belief..Yes!! That’s a hard reality though.When we talk about glass ceiling in corporate world perhaps that’s a micro perspective of Indian culture.A country even after liberating since half century,that like almost even after two generations elapsed still under the shadow of these myths and beliefs.Well the tale begins with me here.I have grown up in a relatively liberal environment while my mother is a working women and me being the only child indeed I gained lot of freedom.Perhaps my mother being my sole authority in life I have never actually given much attention to the need of a father figure or more particularly a male figure.A society more authoritatively known as patriarchal society like India women definitely struggling in the race of male chauvinism..
Well .well.Reality is reality.No matter what..I am quite thankful to my mother who has actually raised me up without such bias and with a relatively sound qualification.However India’s globalization in 90’s and its open sky policy though has opened or rather flooded India with lot of MNC’s at the same time the mindset of Indian people are I guess yet to be globalized properly. And when I talk about mindset it doesn’t not necessarily mean feminist preachings or anything such stuffs..Well the famous movie “Before sunrise” actually somehow relates to what Celine had to say about Feminism and she says” Feminism actually is a notion created by men initially to fulfill their own self-centered interest” “women free your body,free your mind ,sleep with me..”ha ha ha..and here I am not talking about any of those or many be I respect what perhaps she means by..
However when I talk about Glass ceiling essentially I mean the obstacles a female goes through in every scale when there is scope of growth within an organization..And here I am not talking about the traditional bureaucratic govt organization..More particularly referring to the corporate in India..I happen to face several such incidents in my own career.while on the one hand I can be privileged to work for so called MNC,at the same time I faced the rude realities where despite of my efforts I have been cruelly subdued..Well that too for what reason and the answers are because “Aiyyo she is too too dominating” “Da she is very aggressive da ” ”Aah this is not a female job,”,”Aiyyo don’t ask da she is trying to teach everyone” .."She doesnt come in traditional attire da"..oh yeah traditional attire essentially means salwar clad etc..
I wonder are so called aggression or domination terminologies don’t have any positive word to replace ..And I guess yes. Being proactive and result oriented is very often replaced as being dominating and aggressive by so called Indian male boss..Atleast to the male bosses that I was reporting to..I was cruelly suppressed not to talk during meetings just to be humble and polite..Well humble and polite again are terminologies that has different meaning when it comes to Indian context.Indian women are not suppose to talk no matter she might be having great ideas during senior level meeting.And if she does it that’s all..Oh that lady is too much,she just put forward her ideas..Well at the end of the day the business came from such ideas and thankfully the ideas were exchanged atleast.
Really lot of such stuffs..where to end I have no clue..I have raised up hearing stories from my mother how she actually brought me up since I was a  kid till I was a teenage,that she was a working lady and that how she faced lot of such obstacles by the so called male managers etc..Now even after generation passed I am facing the same issues..
I sincerely wonder when these kind of mindset will disappear in our society and when Indian women will gain actual equality in our society..Leaving you all with that thought:-)

2 comments: