Very often people have stereotyped me as a being more western or Non-Desi (Non-Indian)..This post is not to defend or rebel against what perception is but about why I have a sincere inclination towards western civilization and more specifically towards western people.
So I always had this obsession of going in depth of things that I am doing..For that matter it can be anything from the the food I eat or the products I am using or a person I am following or education that I am pursuing.. In other words I have to have a deffinite meaning of why I am doing the thing..This is a problem for many Indian people..The reason is we have an affiliation for shallow knowledge..We dont want to know things in depth or in other words we just eat or pursue or consume things just for the sake of it. Probably this has to do a lot about quality..Because most of the time we just dont care about it..
But the same is not true about western people (I mean most of them)..They believe in thorough understanding of why exactly they use a product/services, they know exactly what they like and why they should use the product or services.Their depth of knowledge for these things just amazes me a lot. Most importantly for each and everything they have to have a meaning of why they want to do it..
Similarly not to mention about education or degrees..Its just goes beyond my imagination how deeply and obsessively western people pursue education..For them its not just a degree or certificate to produce or be boast of in front of society..For them they believe in the particular domain and thats why they pursue that course..For eg: If a western person chose to be a engineer, he knows exactly why and how much he loves to be an engineer (what value addition he can bring) unlike an Indian where our career is mostly decided by our parents. No wonder why so many successful companies are built by westerners. Education as they see is a part of their passion which they obsessively compulsively pursue..And you know what their level of understanding something new is we just can not even imagine..Is it not enough reason by now why I appreciate western civilization..
I will give you guys more reasons . Sharing of what knowledge you have with the world is another amazing trait that I have seen among westerners. Most of the time the blogs or the videos uploaded in youtube (How to of anything ) or the links shared in Twitter is by the westerners which they do it very selflessly..And you know to be surrounded by these people is very uplifting experience ..The newsletters I have subscribed from various industry people I know virtually is mostly westerners..And its just amazes me beyond my level of understanding that why they do all these things so selflessly so that we the people of other part of the world can have access to what they are experiencing..Isn't it reason enough to admire them..!!
And you know what guys there are some fundamental difference between them and us.Its would be very controversial if I get into the depth of these differences.however respecting everyone's sentiment I just want to say that my respect for western people's contribution to mankind,technology,science and everything is just very humbling..
And at the local level if we see India would not have been India if British would have not invaded it.(I know that might sound little offensive)..But I tell you why..Indian Railways is still the largest monopoly and no need to mention it was the outcome of British who introduced us..
The ugly societal phenomenon like Sati Pratha (Where a widow is burnt alive with her dead husband),or the child marriage, or many such things have been actually been removed partially by British..And Raja Rammohan Roy was called a slave of westerners because he supported these reforms in our society. Imagine a society full of all these ..Would India progressed this much as how it is now??
Most of the time we tend to forget how incredibly our life has changed after the technological revolution in the west. No need to mention about the amazing innovation that is happening in the west in all these areas..That itself is so overwhelming ..
Love love people who has brought changes to society and more importantly selflessly..These are some of my thoughts on why my inclination goes towards them.. I would also love to hear from you what do you think..Take care..!!
So I always had this obsession of going in depth of things that I am doing..For that matter it can be anything from the the food I eat or the products I am using or a person I am following or education that I am pursuing.. In other words I have to have a deffinite meaning of why I am doing the thing..This is a problem for many Indian people..The reason is we have an affiliation for shallow knowledge..We dont want to know things in depth or in other words we just eat or pursue or consume things just for the sake of it. Probably this has to do a lot about quality..Because most of the time we just dont care about it..
But the same is not true about western people (I mean most of them)..They believe in thorough understanding of why exactly they use a product/services, they know exactly what they like and why they should use the product or services.Their depth of knowledge for these things just amazes me a lot. Most importantly for each and everything they have to have a meaning of why they want to do it..
Similarly not to mention about education or degrees..Its just goes beyond my imagination how deeply and obsessively western people pursue education..For them its not just a degree or certificate to produce or be boast of in front of society..For them they believe in the particular domain and thats why they pursue that course..For eg: If a western person chose to be a engineer, he knows exactly why and how much he loves to be an engineer (what value addition he can bring) unlike an Indian where our career is mostly decided by our parents. No wonder why so many successful companies are built by westerners. Education as they see is a part of their passion which they obsessively compulsively pursue..And you know what their level of understanding something new is we just can not even imagine..Is it not enough reason by now why I appreciate western civilization..
I will give you guys more reasons . Sharing of what knowledge you have with the world is another amazing trait that I have seen among westerners. Most of the time the blogs or the videos uploaded in youtube (How to of anything ) or the links shared in Twitter is by the westerners which they do it very selflessly..And you know to be surrounded by these people is very uplifting experience ..The newsletters I have subscribed from various industry people I know virtually is mostly westerners..And its just amazes me beyond my level of understanding that why they do all these things so selflessly so that we the people of other part of the world can have access to what they are experiencing..Isn't it reason enough to admire them..!!
And you know what guys there are some fundamental difference between them and us.Its would be very controversial if I get into the depth of these differences.however respecting everyone's sentiment I just want to say that my respect for western people's contribution to mankind,technology,science and everything is just very humbling..
And at the local level if we see India would not have been India if British would have not invaded it.(I know that might sound little offensive)..But I tell you why..Indian Railways is still the largest monopoly and no need to mention it was the outcome of British who introduced us..
The ugly societal phenomenon like Sati Pratha (Where a widow is burnt alive with her dead husband),or the child marriage, or many such things have been actually been removed partially by British..And Raja Rammohan Roy was called a slave of westerners because he supported these reforms in our society. Imagine a society full of all these ..Would India progressed this much as how it is now??
Most of the time we tend to forget how incredibly our life has changed after the technological revolution in the west. No need to mention about the amazing innovation that is happening in the west in all these areas..That itself is so overwhelming ..
Love love people who has brought changes to society and more importantly selflessly..These are some of my thoughts on why my inclination goes towards them.. I would also love to hear from you what do you think..Take care..!!
I agree. I too do not believe in the nationality either. To me, it all depends on how is the other person living his life, without affecting me. As long as it happens, I am okay with where ever I live. And I agree to the points you have mentioned about their inquisitiveness.
ReplyDeleteOne small suggestion - it would be great if the font is some thing diferent. the current font makes it a li'l difficult to read. Cheers and good to see lot of blog posts.
Sure I completely agree with the fonts thing..Will update it to a readable font..Thanks for sharing ur views too:-)
ReplyDelete